The appearance of a person’s ears can make a big impact on his confidence in society. The existence of bulging or uncharacteristic ears can be irritating in both children and adults. If you are not happy with the overall appearance of the ears there is a simple surgical process that can solve these issues and improve self-esteem. Cosmetic surgery of the external ear is usually done to correct the cosmetic or imperfections caused by an injury. A highly common type of treatment is otoplasty is performed to resolve the overall appearance of your ears. The only motive of this type of surgical process is to enhance both the functional and cosmetic look of the ear.
What is Otoplasty
Bulging ears are a widespread form of inherited abnormality. Otoplasty (Cosmetic surgery of the ear), is an aesthetic treatment that modifies the position, size, or overall appearance of the ears. The outcome of this surgery differs greatly reliant on the variations that are expected, but these treatments will create a huge boost to enhance self-esteem, particularly in children or teens. If the ears are bulging, ear pinning surgery can be done to make the ears even with the head. If one ear is located lower or higher than the other, ear repositioning surgery can develop a proper balance. Large, oversized ears can be addressed alone or in combination with other ear problems. These cosmetic surgeries are typically achieved during childhood but can also be done at any time in life. Surgery can be done to develop normal folds and the appearance of the ears.
Things To Be Taken Care Of Healing During Otoplasty Recovery Phase
- Refrain from exposing the target regions to extra force, sunlight, cuts, rubbing, or any aggressive motions when they heal. This is particularly crucial in young children, who must stay away from playing or pressure till the ears are completely healed.
- Avoid any kind of heat on the nearby regions throughout the recovery period mainly if the ears are wrapped by bandages.
- You may experience some kind of Itching at the incision lines or surrounding the regions. Normally, this is an indication of healing and that the nerves are reviving. Stay calmer to refrain from scratching the incisions to avoid aggravated scarring or any other irritations.
- Look for any infection indicators like redness, discharge from the target regions do contact your doctor immediately when the infection is in a treatable state.
- Stay away from washing the hair with any kind of cosmetic product for recommended period mostly one week.
- Ensure to keep the head elevated usually while sleeping during the night and do not bend the head all of a sudden as it can be a probable cause of scarring.
- Some kind of swelling is usually normal and typically lasts for 4 to 8 weeks. There is some kind of residual swelling that might be present for up to six months.
- Always remember to follow the suggested instructions like prescribed medications, avoiding sleeping on sides until you achieve complete recovery.
- Be patient and let the target region heal itself with ample rest while you recover.
- Set only realistic expectations as the look of your ears will transform gradually.
- There may be some amount of discharge from the ear which is normal, particularly during the 1st week after the procedure. If you find any abnormal discharge that is not stopping, then contact your doctor immediately and do not insert anything into the ear in an attempt to perform the cleaning by yourself.
- Stay away from being exposed to sun rays or any other extreme temperatures for 4 to 8 weeks depending on healing. There will be a numb feeling in the ears for the initial weeks. And you may not feel the extent of high temperatures. You can apply ice packs but with the caution of not using them for longer durations.
Possible Risks In Treatment Otoplasty
The below risks usually happen when the treatment is done by an inexperienced skin professional.
Any type of treatment involving surgery will have the risk of infection. Hence, you have to take care in following the exact instructions by keeping the treatment region clean and dry. After the procedure is done, you must be careful to refrain from the above-mentioned infection conditions.
In some situations, bleeding in the treatment region may occur during the procedure or even during the specific recovery phase. A skilled surgeon will decrease the chances by researching any prevailing health issues of the patient and making a note to avoid taking blood-thinning medications, NSAIDs, or any type of herbal supplements and vitamins before the surgery.
Otoplasty treatment in Providence, UT is performed on single or both ears. And there is a risk of asymmetry. Usually, there will not be a perfect symmetry in both ears, but amplified unevenness will give an uncharacteristic appearance.
Patients with previous instances of blood clotting have the risk of the same in this treatment. Your expert surgeon will analyze the health history to look out for any problems, but you have to be truthful in revealing all the important medical information.
Healing after the treatment may be prolonged in some situations some of which are detected during initial medical history review. Smoking habits are usual suspects for delayed healing situations. So, your expert surgeon will ask the smokers to avoid smoking for a suggested period before the treatment.
Adverse Reaction From Otoplasty
General anesthesia is used to carry otoplasty, especially in small kids, as others will sustain with local anesthesia and sedation. Few individuals may have less response to anesthesia but some may few have strong response. Your doctor will repetitively look for the patient’s response during the treatment for early detection of any issues.
Schedule a consultation with reliable surgeons in Cache Valley Facial Plastics to review the medical history, get a physical exam, take images, and have a customized treatment plan from the board-certified surgeons according to your precise goals.